Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Flying banana cake....

Today we (Tate and Austin and myself) decided to make banana cake. We had three bananas that were very discolored and they either needed to be pitched or used...I have this great recipe for banana cake I got from a friend years ago, so we decided banana cake it is. I have been doing a lot more cooking and having the boys help me with gathering ingredients, reading directions and measuring. My main goal is to teach the boys skills to survive on their own some day and make really good husbands...anyway back to the story.
We had everything mixed and I had just pulled the mixer up so all of the banana gup could drip off before we put it in the pan to bake. Just as I turned my back to grab the spatula, Tate grabbed the lever and Austin bumped Tate's hand and within a second banana cake was flying, and I repeat FLYING, all over the kitchen. It happened so fast, and it felt like I was moving in slow motion to get the lever pulled back to OFF. Once it was off, my type A personality (not very happy mom), looked at Tate and said, "What caused you to do that....?" I could just see the tears well in his eyes and at that moment I realized this was a complete mistake, I need not make a big deal out of it. So, as banana cake was splattered throughout my hair and running down by face, I quietly reclaimed my composure....and then we laughed and laughed as we looked around the kitchen to see all of the different places it had landed.
I often forget that even as adults when we are being taught new things, mistakes are bound to happen....in fact we usually learn more from the mistakes we make then anything else. So, when you are taking the time to teach your children new things remember not only are they learning new skills they are also learning about how to act (or react). Patients is something I struggle with from time to time (because of my darn type A personality) but patients is what I hope to show my children even if there is banana cake dripping from the ceiling....
From now on, the cake is going to be called Flying Banana Cake.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Wow, better you then me!! Times having our kids help in the kitchen actually adds more work, but totally worth it!!!
love ya